This two-day course covers various communication styles, the impact of first impression, building rapport, providing feedback, and working with supervisors, coworkers, customers and vendors. Participants will also learn the impact of organizational culture on communication styles as well as develop assertiveness skills.
Upon successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
- identify communication styles and methods.
- give good first impressions, build rapport, and build positive relationships.
- build relationships through feedback.
- identify supervisor roles and handle human resource issues.
- communicate with colleagues and subordinates.
- communicate with customers and vendors.
- identify cultural networks, manage physical culture, and manage emotional culture.
Communication Styles and Methods
- Communication Styles
- Communication Styles: Primary
- Communication Styles: Secondary
- Verbal and Nonverbal Communication
- Using Verbal Communication
- Using Nonverbal Methods
First Impression and Building Rapport
- The Importance of First Impression
- Identifying Elements of First Impression
- Communicating to Build Rapport
- Building Rapport
- Establishing Credibility
- Building Positive Relationships
- Asking Questions
Building Relationships through Feedback
- Importance of Providing Feedback
- Using Paraphrasing
- Providing Feedback
- Providing Positive Feedback
- Providing Constructive Feedback
- Understanding Supervisor Styles
- Handling Ineffective Supervisors
- Promoting an Idea
- Handling Human Resource Issues
- Negotiating a Raise
- Handling Resignation
Colleagues and Subordinates
- Communicating With Colleagues
- Responding to a Colleague’s Idea
- Communicating With Subordinates Refusing a Subordinate’s Request
- Handling Dismissal
Customers and Vendors
- Communicating With Customers
- Responding to Complaints
- Communicating With Vendors
- Rejecting a Vendor’s Proposal
- Complaining to a Vendor
- Understanding Organizational Cultures
- Socializing to the Culture
- Organizational Culture Elements
- Identifying Organizational Culture
- Cultural Networks
- Using Cultural Networks
- Roles in Cultural Networks
- Managing Physical Culture
- Arranging Meeting Space
- Managing Emotional Culture
- Using Positive Language
- Encouraging Initiative